Thursday 27 October 2011

Creating an Element

One of my current projects is based around inventing a 3D shape that could be used as an element of a larger pattern, based either on cosmos or chaos. I am working as part of a 3 man group, developing and constructing these elements for a presentation at the end of the week. I thought I would share some of the development composition ideas that I created for our element because I was fascinated by the variation of compositions that the shape could create.

The first thing I started looking at was a centralised, flower-like design that could be used to highlight the variation in angles and layers the shape has whilst lying on its base. These compositions were inspired by natural patterns I found in plants and flowers. I quite like the patterns below because it is a fully universal and versatile design that is fully symmetrical.

When balancing the atom on its side, its possible to make more interesting circular compositions that are more flowing and structural than the patterns above. Below are some examples of these, using the same shape as used for the designs above.


No comments:

Post a Comment