Friday 24 December 2010

Hans Holbein. Crafty chap...

I know this has little to do with architecture but I don't really care. I was looking at portrait painters, after the life drawing class and found Hans Holbein. I love his paintings for the great attention to detail and realism. What is more impressive is that it was done in the Tudor era and was far ahead of its time in terms of quality. In my opinion some contemporary artists should hang there heads in shame when there work is compared to this.


The painting below is The Ambassadors. Its one of Holbein's most famous works. I like it for the hidden skull at the bottom of the picture. At first glance it appears to be a tear or a feather of a quill but when viewed at an angle it displays an image of a skull. Very crafty.

No comments:

Post a Comment